The teachers’ organization OELMEK referred to very serious issues of violence and delinquency at schools underlining the need for preventing measures. The Organization’s Pancypriot Conference made the following suggestions during a meeting on 16 December:
- The Education Ministry must carry out a detailed evaluation of the current situation formed due to the pandemic and proceed with a series of measures to face the problem.
- To update the current legislation so that supportive Services will be able to intervene and support children with serious psychological problems.
- To implement the new legislation enacted in 2020 for prevention and ways to face violence in schools.
- To create structures of Alternative Education to support students with radical delinquent behavior.
- To incorporate programs reinforcing the social and communication abilities of students.
- To increase educational psychologists and teachers-advisors.
- To improve the mechanism to find and support children with problems.
- To regulate the use of mobiles in schools.