Traffic chaos prevailed over the weekend on the Nicosia-Limassol highway because one of the lanes was closed due to ongoing works for the construction of a by-pass.
But Minister of Transport Yiannis Karousos on Monday assured this was the last time the drastic measure had to be taken before the ambitious project is completed.
Acknowledging the long queues and snail-pace of vehicles the Minister also said the decision to close one lane over the weekend was taken after experts’ advice. And that less damage is recorded over weekends rather than week days.
The situation had been aggravated because people were keen to go on excursions since it was the last weekend before schools open.
At the same time, a football match was in progress as well as a number of weddings both in Nicosia ad Limassol.
“Traffic needs to be shifted safely, from one side to the other, two times during the construction of the highways by-pass,” Karousos said.
“One lane was closed five months ago and the second time this past weekend. The inconvenience was unfortunately inevitable but it’s over,” he added.