- 600-700 gr. fillet of veal, cut into long, thin strips
- 250 g (14-15 moderate) mushrooms cut in quarters
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil (sunflower oil or corn oil)
- 200 ml (1 cup rather than 3 tablespoons) white, dry wine
- 200 ml (1 cup rather than 3 tablespoons) cream
- 2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 small tablespoon of flour
- Salt and pepper
For the Rösti (potato cake):
- 1 kilo (about 4 moderate) potatoes
- 8 tablespoons of melted butter
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Prepare the potato cakes: Boil the potatoes with their peel until they are softened. Drain them, cool them with running water and peel them. Then, pass them from the thick part of the grater. Salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to a very low temperature.
Step 2: Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a small non-stick frying pan and add 1/4 of the potatoes. Spread them in one layer by pressing them with a spatula to flatten their surface and bake them in low heat for about 10 minutes until their bottom is brown and a nice crust has formed. Place a plate on top of the pan, invert the cake and then slide it back into the frying pan and continue baking for another 10 minutes to brown on both sides. Repeat the same with the other grated potatoes. Put the 4 potato cakes on a baking sheet with non-stick labels and keep them warm in the oven.
Step 3: Prepare the veal:
Stir the butter with the flour and keep it aside. Heat the oil in a large pan, on a high heat, and add the meat until it browns. Add the onion, mushrooms, salt and pepper and continue to roast until the onion withers. Pour in the wine and let it evaporate and leave about 1/3 of it. Then, pour the cream, allow to boil and stir in the butter / flour mixture. Allow the food to boil again and when the sauce binds, remove it from the fire. Serve it instantly on 4 dishes along with the potato cakes.
By chef Pericles Roussounides