1 kg big lemons (approximately 7 lemons)
1 ½ kg hot sugar
7 cups (1 3/4 litres) water
1 small square (or rectangular) piece of gauze (approximately 12cm)
- Wash the lemons well. Take a bowl or a glass pan and cut lemons into thin slices. Remove the seeds, collect them all and put them in gauze. Then, tie the gauze to hold the lemon seeds.
- Put lemon slices, the lemon juice the seeds in the gauze in a saucepan and add water. Cover the pot, let the lemons boil, lower the heat and simmer until the peel is soft. Remove the pot from fire, pour in the warm sugar and stir well until it melts. Return the pan to fire, let it boil, and then lower the heat. Continue boiling for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the gauze and squeeze well to drop the syrup into the saucepan. Put the jam in a blender. Return it to the saucepan, let it boil, stir constantly, and then remove it from fire.
- Let the marmalade cool down and then place it into warm sterilised jars.
- Close the jars only when the jam is cool enough.