The state spends tens of thousands of euro for treats that state officials and their guests consume while on duty, Phileleftheros reported.
According to the state budget for 2019, each minister is given a compensation of €3,480 per year (€290 per month) for treats. For all 11 ministers the amount adds up to €38,280.
The amount is reduced by 15% compared to last year’s compensation of €4,080 per year.
The 13 permanent secretaries of ministries are given a compensation of €22,620.
The money is reimbursed to the ministries on presentation of a receipt of payment.
In contrast, a number of Commissioners and other high-ranked civil servants receive a fixed allowance without having to submit a receipt that shows they indeed spend money on treats.
- The Environment Commissioner, the Commissioner to the Presidency and the Commissioner of Volunteerism receive €2,014 annually.
- The Commissioner for Data Protection receives €5,100.
- Officials in the Deputy Ministry of Shipping receive €13,220 in total.
- The Deputy Chief of the Police receives €3,570 and the four Assistant Chiefs receive €2,040.
- All Directors of governmental departments and services, who have a fixed salary of €65,315 are given €5,100.
According to Phileleftheros, around 120 state officials also receive a telephone allowance of around €595 per yer.