The Tax Department is moving to introduce stricter measures for tax collection, Phileleftheros reports.
Specifically, six new measures will be introduced over a three-year period:
- Drafting a bill to simplify tax collection.
- Improve the existing legal framework in ways to make it more effective in collecting taxes on time.
- Install a new data-processing system, expected to improve response time to latent tax behaviour through an automated system.
- Broadening and updating the tax base through information and risk strategies.
- Setting up teams of tax collectors which will conduct checks on selected business and economic activities.
- Implementation of a clearance and control strategy on late payments.
According to the Tax Department, €2.3 billion of uncollected tax money was owed to the state, in the first trimester of 2018.
Last year the Department’s revenue increased by 7.3% to €263 million compared to a 2.7% increase in 2016. The total increase in tax revenue between 2015-2017 stood at 10.3%, which amounts to €358.6 million.