A small group of Turkish Cypriots who work in the government controlled areas have crossed from the checkpoints in Ayios Dhometios and Pergamos for the first time after nearly three months, CNA reports.
It said so far eight have crossed by car, six work in the government controlled areas and two have come for medical treatment.
They have brought cushions, cooking ware and other personal items as they will not be able to return to the occupied areas before July 1 unless they do 14 day quarantine there.
Citing reports from the occupied areas, CNA said some will be sleeping in their cars and others in housing arranged by their employers.
Acting in line with a mutual understanding between President Nicos Anastasiades and Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci for the partial opening of the checkpoints for specific groups of people, the Republic of Cyprus yesterday made checkpoints operational.
There were no crossings yesterday as the matter appears to have become an election issue in Turkish-held north Cyprus with different positions taken by Akinci, who reached the understanding with Anastasiades, and the so-called government, which has indicated that the checkpoints should remain closed until the end of June.
But Kudrut Ozersay, so called foreign minister in the Turkish occupied north, said that a special arrangement has been made for about 30 Turkish Cypriots who had undergone the coronavirus test, as required by the Republic so that they could come to work.