Next Saturday (11 December) the residents of Kokkinotrimithia will stage a protest against the presence of the Pournara Hosting Center in their area.
They intend to stop traffic in the highway near the roundabout from 10.00 until 12.00.
In a letter to the Interior Minister dated 6 December, the community heads of Kokkinotrimithia, Deneia, and Mammari explained the reasons they will stage the protest noting that the problems caused are huge. Notably:
- Problems regarding the residents’ health
- Problems regarding the residents’ safety
- Increase of criminality
- Economic decline
- Freezing of development
The residents are asking the government to
- Prohibit the movement of migrants in the community
- Limit their number to 600
- Leave them in the Center for 20 days and then transfer them elsewhere as provided by law
- Improve the living conditions of the 600 who will remain in the center.