The Road Transport Department issued guidelines for the renewal of Road Tax Licences that expired on March 31, 2020, as follows:
- The deadline for renewing the said Road Tax Licence is June 9, 2020.
- The said Road Tax Licences can be renewed by June 9, 2020, without penalty.
- Road Tax Licences can be renewed for a period of three, six and nine months.
- For renewals made after June 9, there will be a penalty of 10 euros plus 10% of the amount due for the current year.
- Checks by police and the Road Transport Department will begin on June 10, and vehicles without a valid Road Tax Licence will be reported.
- To be able to renew the Road Tax licence, the below are prerequisites:
- A valid M.O.T certificate
- Car insurance
7. The public is advised to not leave the renewal of their Road Tax Licence to the last minute as this might result in congestion of the system and cause inconvenience.
8. For those who renewed their Licence for the first three months of 2020 but do not intend to do so for the rest of the year, an Application for Vehicle Immobilisation (ΤΟΜ12Α) must be submitted to the Road Transport Department, otherwise the Licence will remain active and accumulated debt will remain due.
9. In the event of destruction of the vehicle, in order to be released from Road Tax Licence obligations from the date of destruction, owners must cancel the vehicle registration by submitting the ΤΟΜ98Α form accompanied by the “Destruction Certificate” issued by licenced vehicle waste entities.
10. Road Tax Licences can be renewed at banks and online throughout the year.
11. It is emphasised that no reminders will be sent out to registered vehicle owners for the renewal of Road Tax Licences for the second quarter of 2020.