Public information campaigns on preventive measures against the coronavirus are to be stepped up, with the possible involvement also of the private sector, Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou said on Wednesday.
In a message on Twitter, the minister said he had reviewed the state’s plan of action as well as the measures in place at points of entry in Cyprus to deal with a possible coronavirus case with the unit responsible for monitoring epidemics.
Ioannou said he gave instructions to intensify the information campaign for the public on measures to prevent and protect against the coronovirus. The unit will arrange a meeting with the medical association to discuss coordination and if necesssary the involvement of the private sector.
Cyprus has drawn up a plan of action and introduced measures at points of entry following the coronovirus outbreak in China, in line with the recommendations of the World Health Organisation and the European Centre for Disease Control.
These protocols were activated earlier this week after authorities were alerted that a passenger travelling from China via Moscow had symptoms similar to those of coronavirus.
The woman was quarantined at Nicosia Hospital but tests showed her to be negative to the virus. She is the second suspected case in Cyprus with the earlier case also testing negative.
Meanwhile, Ioannou flies to Brussels tomorrow to attend an extraordinary meeting of EU health ministers that will focus on the coronavirus outbreak, the measures being taken at national level, the protocols adopted in each country to deal with suspected or confirmed cases and how to better coordinate their actions.
Έδωσα οδηγίες για εντατικοποίηση ενημέρωσης τ κοινού για μέτρα πρόληψης κ προστασίας. Η Μονάδα να διευθετήσει τις επ. μέρες συνάντηση με #ΠΙΣ κ Πνευμονολ. Εταιρεία για συνεννόηση κ συντονισμό για να συνδράμει κ ο ιδ. τομέας εάν παραστεί ανάγκη#Cyprus #coronavirus #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/PKD9HeZbVe
— Constantinos Ioannou (@K_Ioannou) February 12, 2020