There are no indications from police investigations so far that a self-confessed serial killer who went by the social media name of Orestes is involved in additional murder cases, new police chief Kypros Michaelides told the House Human Rights Committee on Wednesday.
Michaelides also said that the suspect had been in contact on social media with 30 women, but said none were missing.
The police chief was sworn in last week after President Nicos Anastasiades sacked his predecessor Zacharias Chrysostomou over police’s botched handling of cases of missing women and children.
He spoke as divers continued to comb Kokkini Limni (red lake) in Mitsero in their search for a third murder victim.
A Greek Cypriot army officer has reportedly confessed to killing five women and two children. Five bodies have been recovered but the search continues at Kokkini Limni for a 30 year old woman and at Memi lake in Xyliatou for a six year old girl.
A criminal inquiry by the police complaints commission is under way on how police handled the cases of women and children who were reported missing and were later found to have been murdered. Michaelides said the police leadership was awaiting the results of the inquiry and reiterated that those found to have shown dereliction of duty would be called to account as his aim is to ‘cleanse’ the force from members who do not carry out their duties with dedication.