The threat of the monkeypox pandemic hitting Cyprus is there but the Health Ministry’s protocols are strict and duly implemented and this makes the spread quite hard.
This is what Ministry spokesman Constantinos Athanasiou told Philenews on Monday.
“The threat is there, this is the reason, afterall, that the World Health Organization has sounded the alarm about monkeypox,” he said.
“In Cyprus, after the first report in May we promptly drafted special protocols so that we would be on guard. These protocols are strictly implemented and makes the spread quite hard,” he added.
Athanasiou also said that – up until Sunday – Cyprus recorded about 15 suspicious incidents, four of which have been confirmed.
On Sunday, a 46-year-old man diagnosed with monkeypox was discharged from Nicosia General Hospital but will continue to be confined at home.
He was the island’s first confirmed case and contact tracing had been completed but the Health Ministry said in a statement that efforts are ongoing to trace other contacts.
Cyprus has already secured 1,260 vaccine doses and instructions for the administration of the vaccine will be sent by the pharmaceutical services for its implementation.