NewsLocalNational Surveillance Report: Most Covid-19 cases are young, unvaccinated people

National Surveillance Report: Most Covid-19 cases are young, unvaccinated people

A total of 31.5% of coronavirus cases are aged as young as 10-19 years and 30.1% are 20-29 years, mainly due to low vaccination coverage, according to the National Surveillance Report issued on Friday, with Famagusta district recording the biggest death percentage.

COVID-19 cases in older people with high vaccination coverage are in the single digits, the report added.

The report presents the data on the course of the epidemiological indicators up until 8th July 2021.

It said as of July 8th, 2021, a total of 80,529 COVID-19 cases have been diagnosed, of which 380 died due to COVID-19 (0.5%).
In the last 14 days (25 June –08 July, 2021), 7,321 cases were diagnosed while the median age was 23 years.

As of July 8th, 2021, 112 people were still hospitalized. The median  age of patients still hospitalized due to COVID-19 (112) is 55 years (42-65years), 55.4% (62) are males, and 46.4% (52) are  from  Limassol  district.

Thirty-nine cases (37.1%) still hospitalised have comorbidities.

Of 12 cases in  intensive  care  units  (ICU), who  are  currently  notified and diagnosed till July 8th, all are intubated. The median age of current ICU patients is 66 (60-70) year and 9 (75%) are males. Five (41.7%) patients currently in ICU have pre-existing conditions.

Over the last 14 days, 105,578 RT PCR and 630,105 rapid antigen tests have been performed.

The National Surveillance report said that 31,5% of the cases were aged 10-19 ετών and 30,1% were aged 20-29, and this was mainly due to the low vaccination coverage. By  place  of  exposure, 3.8%  (279) were  imported and  96.2%  (7,042) were locally-acquired.

Limassol has the highest mortality rate, according to the analysis of deaths until July 14 published today by the National Report.
As of July 14, 2021, 460 deaths have been reported in people diagnosed with COVID-19. A total of 67% are men (310 deaths) and the remaining 33% are women (150 deaths).

Of the 460 deaths, 383 (83%) had COVID-19 as the underlying cause. Sixty-seven percent  of the total number of deaths due to COVID-19 disease are men (256 deaths) and the remaining 33% are women (127 deaths).

The male-female ratio is 2: 1 and almost one in five deaths occurs in the 80-84 age group (89).

The highest percentage of deaths of people positive for COVID-19 disease, with underlying cause of death being COVID-19 disease, concerns people with permanent residence in Limassol district (138, 36%). Nicosia district follows with 131, 34%, Larnaca (67, 17%), Paphos (27.7%), and Famagusta (15.4%).

Limassol has the highest mortality rate per 100,000 population (55.6 deaths per 100,000 population). It is followed by Larnaca with 45.0 deaths and Nicosia with 37.8 deaths and with a smaller percentage Famagusta district with 30.7 deaths and finally Paphos district with 28.3 deaths per 100000 population.

Top Stories