The early morning fire on Wednesday at Fysko Lotus Plaza premises in central Limassol had threatened the life of many tenants in the almost dilapidated building, Philenews reports.
And once again long-standing issues concerning the specific building came to the fore putting pressure on local authorities to do something, the report also said.
The fire broke out on the ground floor and semi-basement of the building where, according to tenants there, some of the shop owners of the former department store turned their premises into makeshift living quarters.
They seem to provide housing to a large number of foreigners and turning the ground floor and semi-basement into a slum.
The black smoke that covered the apartments above these premises forced most of the residents to evacuate their houses but some others said they had remained trapped and almost choked to death.
They demanded immediate action by the authorities warning that the loss of lives because of this pending chaotic situation is only a mater of time.