NewsLocalCOVID-19 trends report shows increase in proportion of cases of those aged...

COVID-19 trends report shows increase in proportion of cases of those aged 40-59

The trends report for  COVID-19, prepared by the Epidemiological Surveillance Unit of the Ministry of Health, shows there is a progressively decreasing trend, since January 2021, in those aged 80+ contracting COVID-19 and an increase in the proportion of those aged 40-59 and 60-69.

The age distribution of COVID-19 cases between November 2020 and March 2021, shows a stable pattern for almost all age groups, according to the Trends in COVID-19 diagnoses, intensive care unit admissions and COVID-19 related deaths by age groups. However, in the last two months (Feb-Mar 2021), there is a slight decline in the proportion of cases for those aged 70-79 and 80+.

In March 2021, the monthly diagnosis rate, expressed per 100,000 population is increasing in all age-groups. However, the increase is less pronounced in those aged 70-79 and 80+.

Regarding ICU admissions, the age distribution shows progressively decreasing proportions, since January 2021 and February 2021, for those aged 80+ and 70-79, respectively. However, the proportion is increasing, since December 2020 and February 2021, for those aged 40-59 and 60-69, respectively.

Since January 2021, the monthly ICU admission rate, is gradually decreasing for those 80+.

Regarding COVID-19 associated deaths, the age distribution shows a progressively decreasing trend, since January 2021, in those aged 80+. However in March 2021, the proportion increased in those aged 40-59 and 60-69.

Also, the monthly rate of COVID-19 related deaths, expressed per 100,000 population (n. of COVID-19 deaths in each age-group in a given month divided by the population in that age group), quickly fell in those 80+ (Figure 6).

At the same time, the National Surveillance Report as of 19/04/2021 indicates that as of April 19th, 2021, a total of 55,687 COVID-19 cases have been diagnosed, of which 296 died due to COVID-19 (case fatality risk: 0.5%).

In the last 14 days (06 – 19 April, 2021), 8,321 cases were diagnosed while the median age was 34 years; 51.5% were females , 48.5% males. A total of .9% were imported and 99.1% were locally-acquired.

As of April 22nd, 2021, 279 people were still hospitalized. The median age of patients still hospitalized is 61 years years,  60.2% are males, and 39.1% are from Nicosia district. Hundred-sixty cases (57.4%) still hospitalised have comorbidities. A total of 34 cases in intensive care units (ICU), who are currently notified and diagnosed till April 19th, 30 are intubated. The median age of current ICU patients is 63 years and 19 (55.9%) are males. Twenty-five patients currently in ICU have pre-existing conditions..

Over the last 14 days, 82,372 RT PCR and 706,159 rapid antigen tests have been performed.

The characteristics of cases diagnosed in the last 14 days show that among 8,321 cases diagnosed since April 6th, 51.5% were females, 48.5% males.

By age group, cases included 1,935 infants, children and adolescents aged 0-19 years-old, 5,441 adults aged 20-59 years, 934 persons aged 60 years and older.

Among all cases diagnosed in the last 14 days, 3,170 were reported in Nicosia district, 2,579 (31%) in Limassol, 1,478 (17.8%) in Larnaka, 599 (7.2%) in Pafos, 329 (4%) in Ammochostos, and 166 (2%) were reported either in the British bases or had a residence abroad, or information was not available.

In the last 14 days, 25.5%  reported no symptoms at diagnosis and 74.5% reported at least one symptom.

Among cases, 296 COVID-19 associated deaths were reported in the Republic of Cyprus until April 22.   Deaths occurred in 196 men (66.2%) and 100 (33.8%) women; the median age of all COVID-19 associated deaths was 80 years (IQR: 71-87 years). Limassol recorded the highest number of deaths with 114 (38.5%), 98 (33.1%) from Nicosia, 48 (16.2%) from Larnaka, 22 (7.4%) from Pafos, 11 (3.7%) from Ammochostos, and three deaths (1%) occurred among cases reported either in the British bases or had a residence abroad.The median time from date of sampling to death (due to COVID-19) was 13 days .

Hospitalization and intensive care unit (ICU3) admissions4

In total, 5.4% (2,991) of people with COVID-19 received hospital care, as of April 22nd, 2021. The median age of hospitalized patients was 63 years. Hospitalized cases were mainly males  58%.

Overall, 297 cases (9.9% of all hospitalized patients) have been admitted to ICU. The median age of patients ever admitted to ICU was 68 years. ICU patients were mainly male. The overall median length of stay in ICU (for all ICU cases) was 13 days.

A total of 281 ICU patients (94.6% of all ICU patients) have been intubated – currently there are 30 patients intubated in ICU (including deaths/discharged/extubated on that day).

National Report for Deaths
According to the National Report for Deaths, as of April 21, 2021, from 358 deaths reported in people who have contracted COVID-19, in 296 (83%) COVID was the underlying cause.

From this number, 67% were men (240 deaths) and the remaining 33% women. A total of 66% of the total number of deaths with COVID-19 as the underlying cause were men (196 deaths) and the remaining 34% women (100 deaths).

The Report shows that 55% of the total number of deaths concerns people aged 75-89 years and the highest frequency of deaths occurs in the age group 80-84 years.

The months of December 2020 and January 2021 recorded the highest number of deaths from COVID-19, with the percentage reaching 48% of the total number of deaths (85 and 86 deaths respectively).

At the same time the Report shows that in 2021, the percentage of deaths (with underlying cause of death the disease COVID-19)
The highest percentage of deaths of people came from people living in Limassol (114, 39%) followed by Nicosia (98, 33%) while lower percentages were recorded in Larnaca (48, 16%), Paphos (22, 7%), Famagusta (11.4%),  and three deaths with no permanent residence.

Until 19/4/2021, Limassol has had the highest mortality rate per 100,000 population (45.5 deaths per 100,000 population), followed by Larnaca with 32.2 deaths per 100,000 population.

Top Stories