UNFICYP has called on the Greek Cypriot and the Turkish Cypriot sides to inform each other and to continue their close cooperation in addressing this new public health emergency, expressing its readiness to assist them in this respect.
In a statement, UNFICYP Spokesperson, Aleem Siddique says that “UNFICYP has been informed about the decision to temporarily close two more crossing points as a safeguard against the further spread of the coronavirus in Cyprus.”
On February 3, 2020, he notes, “the two leaders met with the members of the Bicommunal Technical Committee on Health at Ledra Palace Hotel to discuss preparedness measures in light of Covid-19.”
“As the situation continues to evolve, we call on both sides to inform each other and to continue their close cooperation in addressing this new public health emergency,” Siddique says. “We stand ready to assist both sides in this respect,” he adds.
With respect to the closing of the crossing point at Strovilia, UNFICYP “will continue to follow up on the well-being of the Strovilia residents during this temporary measure,” UNFICYP Spokesperson’s statement concludes.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.
The United Nations Peace Keeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP), comprising military and civilian personnel from various contributing countries, arrived in Cyprus in March 1964. The mandate of the force is renewed every six months by the Security Council.
(Cyprus News Agency)