The mayors of the new big municipalities that will be established within the framework of the reform of local administration will receive salaries equal to that of deputies while the mayors of small municipalities will receive 70% – 80% of the salaries of deputies.
The big municipalities are those of Nicosia, Limassol, Larnaca and Paphos as well as municipalities with more than 20,000 voters.
This kind of salary is today received by the Mayors of the old four municipalities as well as the mayor of Strovolos.
For the rest of the municipalities, the following is valid:
- Municipalities where voters are no more than 3,000, the mayor receives salary equal to 60% of the salary of a deputy
- Municipalities where voters are 3,000-5,000, the mayor receives salary equal to 70%
- Municipalities where the voters are 5,000-20,000, the mayor receives salary equal to 80%
- Municipalities of Famagusta, Kyrenia, and Morphou which are under occupation: 60%
- Other occupied municipalities: 40%