A new group has been formed on Facebook to combat profiteering and high prices.
The group called “Cyprus Protest Team against Injustice and High Prices” is mainly concerned about high electricity and fuel prices and costly rents, particularly in Limassol and Nicosia.
Formed about two weeks ago it already numbers about 33,000 members. Its main purpose is to bring people together to protest against profiteering.
Some of the issues highlighted by members are:
1) Continued increase in electricity prices
2) Costly fuel which has led many to the Turkish-occupied north to fill up their tanks
3) Very high rents particularly in Limassol and Nicosia
4) The early release on parole of VIP prisoners
5) High tax on some products here compared to other countries