News Local Most deaths due to COVID-19 recorded in Nicosia

Most deaths due to COVID-19 recorded in Nicosia

According to data from the Health Ministry, during the period from March 2020 until 17 February, death toll from the virus in Cyprus was 275, and most of them were recorded in Nicosia.

Some 69% of these deaths concern men (189 deaths) and the remaining 31% concern women (86 deaths).

Out of these 275 deaths, 227 (83%) had COVID-19 as the underlying cause. Some 67% of that number refers to men (153) and the remaining 33% women (75). Deaths are more common among the 80-84 age group.

In January 2021, we had the biggest number of deaths due to COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic, with the percentage reaching 31% of the total number of deaths (86). The highest percentage of deaths due to COVID-19 was recorded in Nicosia (84, 37%) and then Limassol (65, 29%).

(philenews)

Top Stories

No deaths for 3rd consecutive day, slight drop in new cases

  No deaths for a third day running and 243 new cases were recorded in Cyprus today, a drop in number in comparison to yesterday's...

Where to get a rapid test on Sunday 28 February

  Aiming at the continuous surveillance of the community and the workplaces, the free programmes of rapid antigen testing of the general population and employees...

Illegal sale of Salamis marble on Ebay stopped

  A Russian man attempted to sell a piece of marble from the ancient Salamis archaeological site in the occupied territories, obtained through smugglers. The Ebay...

Government guided by science on covid, not politics, Presidency says

  The government is always guided by scientific evidence on covid policies, not political expediences, said Director of President Anastasiades' press office Victoras Papadopoulos,  in...

Turkey supports two-state ‘vision’ Erdogan tells Tatar

  Ankara continues to steadfastly support a two state 'vision' for the settlement of the Cyprus issue, based on the so-called 'equality of sovereignty' and...

Taste

Squash soup

Ingredients: 1 kg pumpkin, cut into small cubes, approximately 5 cups 2 medium (400g) sweet potatoes, cut into cubes, approximately 2 ½ cups 1 chopped leek, only...

Mezedes

No visit to Cyprus is complete without enjoying the traditional meal of many small dishes known as ‘meze’. This large feast, which has been a...

Prawns with fried cheese, barley shaped pasta

Put the barley shaped pasta into a small pan with salted water, bring to a boil and when tender, drain. Peal the prawns leaving...

Salmon and shrimp sheftalies

Mix all ingredients for tabbouli in a bowl and keep to one side so flavours can combine. Prepare the sheftalies: wash and soak the casing...