News World Meghan's privacy action against tabloid has first court hearing

Meghan’s privacy action against tabloid has first court hearing

The first court hearing in a privacy case brought by Meghan, Britain’s Duchess of Sussex, against a tabloid newspaper for printing part of a letter to her father began at London’s High Court on Friday.

Meghan, wife of Queen Elizabeth’s grandson Prince Harry, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles its Mail on Sunday newspaper printed in February last year that were based on a letter she had sent to her father, Thomas Markle.

Lawyers for the duchess say its publication was a misuse of private information and breached her copyright. They are seeking aggravated damages from the paper.

Given Britain’s coronavirus lockdown, Friday’s hearing was held by video, which the judge, Mark Warby, said was a relatively new way of conducting such cases.

“It’s not a trial, there will be no witnesses and I’m not going to make any findings of fact about the underlying events,” Warby said. The hearing is one of the first stages in the legal action and a date for a full trial has not yet been set.

Meghan and Harry, who are living in the Los Angeles area having stepped down from their royal roles at the end of last month, are expected to listen in remotely to part of the hearing, a source said.

The lawyer for the newspaper, Antony White, sought on Friday to have parts of Meghan’s claim struck out, arguing they were irrelevant or impermissible, not properly pleaded or disproportionate for the court to investigate.

The case centres on articles published in February 2019 about the rift between Meghan and her father who fell out after her glitzy, pomp-laden wedding to Harry in May the year before.

Markle pulled out days beforehand after undergoing heart surgery and following news he had staged photos with a paparazzi photographer. Speculation about his attendance dominated the build-up to the ceremony.

‘HARASSING AND MANIPULATING’

Documents from Meghan’s lawyers this week accused the Mail and other tabloids of harassing, humiliating and manipulating Markle, and contributing towards the fallout between father and daughter.

They argue the Mail had also misquoted from the letter, which was never intended to be made public, to paint the royals in a poor light.

The Mail says unnamed friends of Meghan had put her version of events in interviews with the U.S. magazine People and that Markle had the right to put his side.

The paper’s lawyers also argue that given Meghan’s royal status, there was legitimate public interest in her personal and family relationships.

In the papers submitted by Meghan’s lawyers this week were details of text messages sent by Harry to his future father-in-law, pleading with him not to talk to the press and to call him and his daughter.

The duchess missed a call from Markle at 4.57 a.m. on the morning of the wedding and she has not received any calls or messages from him since then, the court papers added. She sent her letter to him in August 2018.

The legal action is the latest step in growing hostility between the media and the couple.

This week Meghan and Harry announced they would have “zero engagement” with four of Britain’s top tabloids, accusing them of false and invasive coverage.

That was treated with derision by commentators in many British newspapers, who accused them of egotism and questionable timing by making the announcement during the COVID-19 crisis.

(Reuters)

Top Stories

126 new cases, two deaths announced on Monday

The Health Ministry announced the death of two persons due to COVID-19. This raises the death toll from the virus in Cyprus to 188,...

Where to get antigen rapid tests on Tuesday, 26 January

The Health Ministry announced the following antigen rapid test sites for Tuesday, 26 January 2021:   LIMASSOL Church of Panagia Chrysaifyliotissa, Agia Fyla 08:30-16:30 Church of Panagia Evangelistria,...

Cyprus government aims at gradual lifting of restrictive measures

The Cyprus government aims at the gradual lifting of restrictive measures against the spread of COVID-19 in the context of a concrete plan, with...

Shot flamingo found in Paralimni lake

Birdlife Cyprus announced that a flamingo was found wounded in the Lake of Paralimni. Members managed to save the bird and take it to a...

Epidemiologists agree to include colchicine in treatment protocol

The scientific team of the Health Ministry is ready to include colchicine in the treatment protocol to face COVID-19, Konstantinos Tsioutis, assistant professor of...

Taste

Squash soup

Ingredients: 1 kg pumpkin, cut into small cubes, approximately 5 cups 2 medium (400g) sweet potatoes, cut into cubes, approximately 2 ½ cups 1 chopped leek, only...

Mezedes

No visit to Cyprus is complete without enjoying the traditional meal of many small dishes known as ‘meze’. This large feast, which has been a...

Prawns with fried cheese, barley shaped pasta

Put the barley shaped pasta into a small pan with salted water, bring to a boil and when tender, drain. Peal the prawns leaving...

Salmon and shrimp sheftalies

Mix all ingredients for tabbouli in a bowl and keep to one side so flavours can combine. Prepare the sheftalies: wash and soak the casing...