A 35 year old man jailed for 45 days for breaking the lockdown on March 25 is to be released.
In a written statement, deputy government spokesman Panayiotis Sentonas said that at the suggestion of the attorney general and exercising his powers under the constitution, President Nicos Anastasiades had decided to suspend the man’s jail sentence.
In taking the decision, the president had taken into consideration the fact that as from March 27 — two days after the violation — such offences are punishable with an out of court fine, he added.
Other elements relevant to the case were also taken into consideration, the deputy spokesman said without elaborating.
Earlier on Thursday, Frenaros community leader Michalis Hadjiyiorkas had told Alpha TV that at the suggestion of the attorney general, President Nicos Anastasiades had agreed to the man’s release.
There has been an outcry over the man’s sentence, particularly from Frenaros which had yesterday issued an appeal to the attorney general and the president.
In a written statement, the community council had criticised the decision to jail a man with a clean record for 45 days as unfair and unjustified.
The council said that it respected the lockdown decree, but the sentence showed the “unequal treatment of citizens by police and the courts.”
The 35 year old was jailed for 45 days with immediate effect earlier this week for breaking the curfew imposed to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The sentence was seen as unnecessarily harsh, with friends and family saying the man had just finished work and was returning to his house in Paralimni where he lives with his fiance.
They add that the man is well liked and had been dealt a harsh blow as as child when his father, a lifeguard, drowned while rescuing a British tourist.