Beaches & Seacoast Paphos Kato Pyrgos Village & Beaches

Kato Pyrgos Village & Beaches

Although located in the Lefkosia (Nicosia) district, due to the Turkish invasion of 1974, the village of Kato Pyrgos is now only accessible via the Pafos (Paphos) region; reached by-following the A1 and the A6 motorways. After arriving at Pafos, take the B7, then the E704 to find the village in the heart of the beautiful area of Tylliria.

Built on the northern foothills of Troodos, the village uniquely combines coastal front with hillsides, and its surroundings of both beach and mountains – coupled with the fresh fish that comes from the fishing shelter of the village – make it a popular holiday resort.

The village is also home to the historic and significant Chapel of Panagia tis Galoktistis (Virgin Mary) which contains hagiographies dating back to the 12th and 14th centuries. Legend tells that the chapel was built with milk (‘Galoktistis’ in Greek) after the Virgin Mary answered the prayers of the villagers to heal their diseased sheep.

An old oak tree stands in the village square, dating back to 1898, and is over 20 metres high.In the nearby fields of the village, a variety of fruit is cultivated, and Pyrgos peaches are particularly famous. Kato Pyrgos is also known as one of the island’s main natural charcoal producers.

The hills of the village are covered by a green veil deriving from the colour of the pines and mingling with the plantations of the plain, the peach and the lemon trees, until they reach the crystal beach with the small sandy bays. The beach is approximately 3 km long and it constitutes an ideal holiday destination. The most well-known beaches of Pyrgos are: “The Omega”, “Apothikes” and “Kryoneri”. The naming of the first beach is linked to the shape of the Greek letter Ω (Omega) which is formed as the beach stretches towards the sea. The second beach, known as “Apothikes”, owes its naming to a 1920 building which was used, as of 1927, as a warehouse (Apothiki in Greek) where farming products were stored. The last beach, “Kryoneri” (Coldwater), is linked to the artesian water which flows by the area and falls into the sea.

Courtesy of the CTO

Previous articleKalavasos village
Next articlePolis Chrysochous village

Top Stories

One death from covid announced on Sunday, 303 new cases

Health authorities in Cyprus on Sunday announced one death from covid-19 and 303 new cases out of a total of 46,544 tests. The PCR and...

Cyprus eighth from bottom in EU as far as women holding a parliamentary seat goes

Cyprus ranked eighth from the bottom in the EU with just 22% of women holding a seat in parliament in 2020, according to data...

Safeguarding public health top priority, says Cyprus President

One year after the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades on Sunday sent the message that top priority for his...

Police issue 214 fines in 24 hours for breach of covid measures

Police in Cyprus booked 213 citizens and a coffee-shop owner over the past 24 hours for breach of measures aiming to curb the spread...

Headmaster Lambon: The English School still a leader in education (PHOTOS)

The English School has always been an innovator with a reputation as a leader in education but the coronavirus pandemic has proved it is...

Taste

Squash soup

Ingredients: 1 kg pumpkin, cut into small cubes, approximately 5 cups 2 medium (400g) sweet potatoes, cut into cubes, approximately 2 ½ cups 1 chopped leek, only...

Mezedes

No visit to Cyprus is complete without enjoying the traditional meal of many small dishes known as ‘meze’. This large feast, which has been a...

Prawns with fried cheese, barley shaped pasta

Put the barley shaped pasta into a small pan with salted water, bring to a boil and when tender, drain. Peal the prawns leaving...

Salmon and shrimp sheftalies

Mix all ingredients for tabbouli in a bowl and keep to one side so flavours can combine. Prepare the sheftalies: wash and soak the casing...