News World In video interview, Biden's accuser says he should drop out of White...

In video interview, Biden’s accuser says he should drop out of White House race

The woman who alleges presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden sexually assaulted her in 1993 said in a video interview on Thursday that he should withdraw from the White House race.

Tara Reade’s comments in an interview with former NBC and Fox News journalist Megyn Kelly came six days after Biden said in his first public remarks about the alleged incident that it “never happened.”

“You and I were there, Joe Biden. Please step forward and be held accountable,” Reade said in a portion of the interview posted on Twitter by Kelly. “You should not be running on character for the president of the United States.”

Asked if Biden should withdraw from the race, Reade said: “I wish he would, but he won’t.”

Responding to Reade’s latest interview, Biden’s deputy campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, said on Thursday that “more and more inconsistencies keep emerging” in Reade’s account.

“Women must receive the benefit of the doubt,” Bedingfield said in an emailed statement. “At the same time, we can never sacrifice the truth. And the truth is that these allegations are false and that the material that has been presented to back them up, under scrutiny, keeps proving their falsity.”

The statement did not address Reade’s call for Biden to drop out of the race.

Reade, who worked as a staff assistant in Biden’s U.S. Senate office from December 1992 to August 1993, has accused Biden in media interviews of pinning her against a wall in 1993, reaching under her skirt and pushing his fingers inside her.

Biden, 77, who will be the Democratic nominee to face Republican President Donald Trump, 73, said in a MSNBC interview last week that “I’m saying unequivocally it never, never happened.”

Reade was one of eight women who last year came forward to say Biden had hugged, kissed or touched them in ways that made them uncomfortable, though none accused him of sexual assault. Reade publicly accused him of the assault on a podcast in March.

Several news outlets that have published Reade’s account, including the New York Times and the Washington Post, have interviewed a friend who said Reade told her about the alleged assault at the time. Another friend told the Times that Reade told her in 2008 about a previous traumatic incident involving Biden. Reade’s brother also confirmed parts of Reade’s account to The Intercept and the Post.

Reade, 56, told media interviewers she complained at the time about sexual harassment, though not sexual assault, to three of Biden’s Senate aides. The Biden campaign released a statement from one, Marianne Baker, who said she never received any report of inappropriate behavior in nearly 20 years of working for Biden.

The Post and Times interviewed the other two aides, both of whom told the newspapers they had no recollection of Reade’s complaint.

Biden last week asked the Secretary of the Senate to make public any records containing a complaint or other documents relating to Reade’s allegation, if they exist. The Senate denied the request because of confidentiality requirements.

Some prominent Democratic women including U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Senator and former presidential rival Elizabeth Warren have defended Biden, who was President Barack Obama’s vice president.

Reade, who describes herself as a Democrat and supporter of Vermont senator and former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, has hired the New York law firm of Wigdor LLP, which has represented some of the alleged sexual assault victims of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, to represent her.

The firm said in a statement on Thursday that partner Douglas Wigdor supported Trump in the 2016 presidential campaign but that the firm’s representation of Reade “has absolutely nothing to do with politics.”

“We have decided to take this matter on because every survivor has the right to competent counsel, and that is exactly what we will provide,” the statement said.

(Reuters)

Top Stories

One death from covid announced on Sunday, 303 new cases

Health authorities in Cyprus on Sunday announced one death from covid-19 and 303 new cases out of a total of 46,544 tests. The PCR and...

Cyprus eighth from bottom in EU as far as women holding a parliamentary seat goes

Cyprus ranked eighth from the bottom in the EU with just 22% of women holding a seat in parliament in 2020, according to data...

Safeguarding public health top priority, says Cyprus President

One year after the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades on Sunday sent the message that top priority for his...

Police issue 214 fines in 24 hours for breach of covid measures

Police in Cyprus booked 213 citizens and a coffee-shop owner over the past 24 hours for breach of measures aiming to curb the spread...

Headmaster Lambon: The English School still a leader in education (PHOTOS)

The English School has always been an innovator with a reputation as a leader in education but the coronavirus pandemic has proved it is...

Taste

Squash soup

Ingredients: 1 kg pumpkin, cut into small cubes, approximately 5 cups 2 medium (400g) sweet potatoes, cut into cubes, approximately 2 ½ cups 1 chopped leek, only...

Mezedes

No visit to Cyprus is complete without enjoying the traditional meal of many small dishes known as ‘meze’. This large feast, which has been a...

Prawns with fried cheese, barley shaped pasta

Put the barley shaped pasta into a small pan with salted water, bring to a boil and when tender, drain. Peal the prawns leaving...

Salmon and shrimp sheftalies

Mix all ingredients for tabbouli in a bowl and keep to one side so flavours can combine. Prepare the sheftalies: wash and soak the casing...