NewsLocal"Home for Women" handles over 450 abuse cases within one year

“Home for Women” handles over 450 abuse cases within one year

The “Home for Women” has handled over 450 cases of women victims of violence during the first year of its pilot operation, President Nicos Anastasiades said on Thursday evening.

“It is in this context, but also in the context of our broader policy, that the Council of Europe cites Cyprus as an example, applauding the targeted measures we have taken,” he added.

In an inauguration address read by Minister of Energy, Commerce and Trade, Natasa Pilides, the President also said that what one would wish for is that “it wouldn’t be necessary for the state to ensure the adoption of policies to deal with any form of violence and abuse.”

However, he added, “as long as these take place it is a moral responsibility and obligation by the state to take this action. It is clear by what I have said that our priority is to protect and support every person subjected to such behaviour.”

The official launch of the women’s shelter had been delayed due to the Covid-19 situation.

The President then referred to the efforts of the Association for the Prevention and Handling of Violence in the Family – a non-profit NGO charged with running the facility and thanked them.

During the first two years of its operation, the ‘Home for Women’ received government grants amounting to €726,000.

The facility caters to all women and girls under the age of 18 who have suffered violence, including sexual violence, and their underage children.

 

 

 

Top Stories

Taste