Insider Business Finance Minister unveils new package to support economy

Finance Minister unveils new package to support economy

Finance Minister Constantinos Petrides unveiled on Thursday a new package to support the economy amid Covid-19, by directly supporting very small businesses and the self-employed, providing targeted government guarantees worth €1.5 billion and giving tax incentives to landlords in order to reduce rents.

The package is subject to the approval of the European Commission and the House of Representatives. Petrides said that draft bills need to be handled as an item since “one cannot replace the other” as businesses remain closed and the risk of not reopening grows bigger.

“Moving on to the second stage of the handling of the pandemic and the gradual lifting of restrictions, the Cabinet approved a new, more focused support package for the economy with three new plans” the Minister stated.

The draft bill to support businesses, on the basis of the European Commission’s provisional framework for state aid during the COVID-19 outbreak, provides subsidies to very small businesses and the self-employed employing up to 10 people, as follows:

Businesses who fully suspended activity until May 3 receive €2,625
Businesses who fully suspended activity after May 4 receive €3,500
Businesses who partially suspended activity until May 3 get €1,875
Businesses who partially suspended activity after May 5 get €2,500
Self-employed who fully suspended activity until May 3 get €1,125
Self-employed who fully or partially suspended activity until May 4 get €1,500

The Minister said that up to 40,000 businesses may benefit from the plan, that provides substantial aid to small businesses, in order to cover various expenditures during the crisis.

Petrides said moreover that the law also provides for liquidity to businesses through guaranteed loans worth €1.5 b. Out of the total amount, €300 m will be committed to very small businesses employing less than 10 people, €1 b to small and medium businesses and €200 m to large businesses.

The state will guarantee 85% of the loans to very small businesses and the self-employed and banks will guarantee the remaining 15%. The state will cover 70% of loans to large businesses and banks the remaining 30%.

Loans will be given for a period of 3 months up to 6 years with favorable terms and interest rates, the Minister went on, estimating that liquidity to the market will amount to €6 b in total.

The Minister of Finance also announced that two more bills approved by the Cabinet provide tax incentives to landlords reduce rents for a period of three months, to assist tenants affected by the COVID-19 crisis.

Top Stories

Thirteen new corona virus cases detected out of 3,486 tests

According to the Epidemiological Surveillance Unit of the Ministry of Health 13 new cases of the SARS-CoV-II virus were detected out of a total...

Results of island-wide random tests will show the way forward, scientific team says

The 10,000 corona virus random tests that were launched yesterday island-wide will show the way forward on how to address the pandemic, members of...

Bad loans in Cyprus down by €43 million in the first quarter of 2020

Cyprus recorded a further decrease of €43 million or 0.5% in aggregate Non Performing Loans (NPLs) at the end of March 2020 compared with...

Baby born as Beirut blast rips through hospital

As a devastating blast wave tore across Beirut after a warehouse explosion, Emmanuelle Khnaisser prepared to give birth to a baby boy as the...

Mainly fine weather with orange alert for extremely high temperatures on Friday

Mainly fine weather on Friday with an orange alert for extremely high temperatures issued – in effect from 12pm to 5pm. Temperatures are expected to...

Taste

Octopus ‘Kathisto’ (or Octopus braised in Wine)

Ingredients: 1/2 cup Greek extra virgin olive oil 2 medium onions, chopped fine 1 large octopus, about 2kg (cleaned and kept whole) 3/4 cup dry red wine 1/3 cup...

Homemade lemonade

Ingredients: 1 cup lemon juice 1 cup sugar Method: Thoroughly wash the lemons with soap and warm water. Roll each lemon with the palm of your hand, pressing...

‘Striftaria’ mini cheese pies

Ingredients 1 ½ cup milk 2 tbsps. flour 4 tsps. of butter 3 eggs, slightly beaten + 1 extra with 1 tbs. of milk for spreading 1 pack of...

Mini potato canapes baked on salt

Ingredients Serves: 12 1kg small Cypriot potatoes rock salt, as needed 250g salted butter 300ml full fat cremé frâiche 1 pot cod or salmon roe Method Prep:20min › Cook:35min › Ready in:55min Take...