Let’s unite our voices for Animal Welfare in Cyprus. Let’s walk towards a more civilized society! We demand basic moral values to be established. Enough is enough!
We demand for the immediate implementation of the Animal Welfare and Protection Law.
1- Prosecution and punishment of:
• Civilians who abuse or neglect animals.
• Civilians who abandon their pets/animals
• Those who destroy community feeding / watering stations of community and housing of animals (cat colonies and others).
• We demand animal abuse to be consider a felony
2- Creation of a special unit of inspectors within the government Veterinary Services to:
– Oversee the implementation of the Animal Welfare Law
– To enforce EU directives as well as Cyprus Animal Welfare Laws for animals (farm animals, slaughter houses, pet animals, or animals in any other premises).
3- Regular training courses for all staff members of all official/responsible authorities involved in the implementation of the Law (Veterinary Services, Animal Police Unit, Local Authorities)
4- The empowerment of the Animal Police Unit.
• Must be a separate and autonomous service
• Must be adequately staffed by people with relevant experience, education and training in the subject.
• Must be equipped with all necessary tools and facilities
• Must be exclusively tasked with the implementation of Animal Welfare Law.
5- Local Authorities to provide proper dog pounds (for abandoned or owner surrender dogs) according the law and provide the necessary services and care since they are the official authority to enforce the Dog Law.
6- Ban euthanasia in dogs pounds as hundreds of healthy yet unwanted/abandoned dogs are euthanized every year.
7- Microchipping and registration of all dogs from the age of 2 months and effective control by Local Authorities.
8- Incentives for dog owners to sterilize their animal companions.
9- Effective stray cat sterilization programmes by the state.
100,000 euros per year is a drop in the ocean and inadequate to face the huge problem.
• A grant of at least €500.000 per year should be allocated with a 5-7 year action plan necessary.
• Incentives for Local Authorities to invest more funds into their own community cat sterilization programmes.
10- A ban on caging of any animal (dogs, farm animals etc.)
11- Creation of an autonomous ANIMAL CONTROL AND WELFARE SERVICE, which will oversee and be responsible for all the above.
12- Introduce Animal Welfare lessons in all schools in order to sensitize children and create a society that Promotes empathy, volunteers and team spirit.
Saturday, October 1 at 5 pm
Presidential Palace, Nicosia