News World Dozens killed in Nigeria suicide blasts

Dozens killed in Nigeria suicide blasts

Dozens of people were killed on Tuesday when two suicide bombers detonated their explosives at a mosque and a market in Mubi, northeast Nigeria, residents said. “We have evacuated dozens of dead and injured people to the hospital and the rescue operation is still ongoing,” local volunteer Habu Saleh told AFP.

A medical source at the Mubi General Hospital said they had “so far received 37 dead bodies and dozens of injured from the two blast scenes”. There was no official confirmation of the death toll. Police and government officials in the Adamawa state capital, Yola, were not immediately available for comment.

The hospital source, who asked to remain anonymous because he was not authorised to speak to the media, added: “The death toll may mount because evacuation is not completed.

“Many of the injured who are in critical condition may not survive.”

Health workers from the hospital mobilised to attend to the victims, despite being on strike over pay and conditions.

Mubi resident Abdullahi Labaran said the first bomber mingled with worshippers who had gathered for prayers at the mosque at the edge of the market.

He detonated his explosives “five minutes before the prayer started” at about 1:20 pm (1220 GMT).

The second bomber blew himself up among the crowds of worshippers, traders and shoppers who fled the mosque towards the butchery section of a nearby market.

Mubi is some 200 kilometres (125 miles) by road from Yola.

It has been repeatedly targeted in deadly attacks blamed on Boko Haram since it was briefly overrun by the militant group in late 2014.

On November 21, 2017 at least 50 people were killed when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a mosque during early morning prayers in the Unguwar Shuwa area of Mubi.

In October 2012, at least 40 people were killed in an attack on student housing in Mubi that was widely blamed on Boko Haram.

In June 2014, at least 40 football supporters, including women and children, died in a bomb attack after a match in the Kabang area of the town.

Read more

Source: AFP

Top Stories

Cyprus in lockdown: All the new measures

A new decree under the Quarantine Law Act was issued today by Health Minister Constantinos  to tackle coronavirus . This is the full text of...

Israel to use computer analysis to find likely coronavirus carriers

Israel's defence ministry plans to use software that analyses data gathered from mobile phones - produced, according to Israeli media, by the spyware firm...

Exceptions to ‘one permission a day’ rule

    Tougher lockdown rules come into force at 6 am on Tuesday, with members of the public only allowed to send one SMS to leave...

Man who assaulted police during check jailed for 20 days

The Limassol District Court sentenced a 30 year old man from Georgia on Monday to 20 days in jail for assaulting police officers last...

Cyprus tightens lockdown-UPDATE

Permission to leave the house will be limited to once a day and gatherings at houses will be restricted only to its residents, under...

Taste

Village olive pie

Mix the yeast with the lukewarm water and put it aside for about 12-15 minutes to settle.  Sift the flour with the salt into...

Skordalia (Garlic paste)

Rinse the potatoes and place, unpeeled, in a saucepan. Cover with water, add salt and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes until soft. Drain,...

Village salad

A must-have with every meal is a village salad. You will find it in every tavern or greek restaurant you visit in Cyprus. Make...

Courgettes with eggs

Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the courgettes at a medium heat until they soften. Add salt and add the eggs....