Phini is one of the most graphic villages of Cyprus and is built in a verdurous environment in the mountains of Troodos, at an average altitude of 920 meters, among steep slopes and mountaintops ridden with the green of pines. The village is found 44 kilometers northwest of the city of Limassol. Turnpike streets connect it with the village Agios Dimitrios in the northwest, with Kato Platres in the south and with Pano Platres in the east. The state forests of Troodos and Pafos take up a large part of its administrative domain. The monastery of Panagia Trooditissa is found in the north of the village and the church of Agioi Anargyroi – also a monastery – is found in the southeast. The waterfall of Phini, situated in the -all green -area of “Hantara”, completes the picturesque beauty of the village.


According to one version, Phini took its name during the Frank era from a Frank feudal lord -Juan De Fejniu or Feniu- that had accompanied the King of Cyprus Peter I in Europe (1359-1369). Whether the Frank nobleman was actually an owner of the village has not been absolutely confirmed because the village is not mentioned anywhere as a feud. Even if he was, he most probably adopted the name of his village as his surname, something quite common for the era.

Most probably the village existed during the Byzantine years and its name originates from Palm, in Greek “Foinikas”, the known tree or its fruit “Foiniki”. Several other villages and regions of Cyprus carry names that originate from that word.

Traditional Arts

The morphology of the ground -with limited tillable land- forced the inhabitants of Phini to occupy themselves with several other jobs so as to be able to survive. So, with the passage of time, Phini became known for its pottery, for the manufacturing of traditional furniture, and for the making of the “loukoumi” (Turkish Delight, a sweet that resembles marsh mallow) of Phini.


Because of the tradition of the village in pottery, it has become a point of attraction for locals and foreigners that want to admire this unique art from up close.

Nowadays a private museum of folkloric art operates in Phini and many articles of folkloric art -such as pottery articles, traditional agricultural tools, traditional kitchen utensils, and several more -are on display there. There are two pottery workshops in the village as well as two workshopw for the making of Phiniotika Loukoumia. Also there are quite a few traditional taverns presently in the village, offering opulent and tasty Cypriot cuisine. The youth center of the village also works as a cafeteria. A Trout farm also operates in Phini.

Phini – Trooditissa Monastery (Nature trail)

Με αφετηρία από την Περιοχή του Μακρή (ανηφόρα), από το Φονί το μονοπάτι περνά μέσας από πυκνό δάσος και ακολουθεί πορεία αριστερά του Ποταμού Διαρίζου που έχει μόνιμα τρεχούμενο νερό.

Hantara WaterFall

The waterfall in Phini is located in Hantara area. Undoubtedly, the waterfall, an exquisite creation of nature, enchants and impresses all visitors.

Heroes Monument

They may have enchained the EOKA fighters but their soul was not captured. They may have tortured and imprisoned their bodies but their yearning for freedom they could not confine

Medieval Bridges

Three of the oldest and most famous medieval/venetian bridges built during the 16th Century are found in Paphos Forest close to Phini Village. The bridges were built mainly for the passage of camel trains which brought ore down to Paphos from Troodos.

The old fountain of “Pellomarous”

Descending to Phini Village from the north – east, the commanding presence of the old fountain of “Pellomarous” is there to welcome every passenger with its crystal clear fresh mineral water. Legend says that the fountain got its name from a madwoman living nearby and that everyone drinks water stays in the village forever.


The art of making the “loukoumi” of Phini was introduced to the village by Philakti Pelavaki or simply the Confectioner as he was known. This man lived, since childhood and for many years, in Egypt where he learned the art of “Loukoumi”. When he returned to Cyprus in 1930, he brought with him this art and started practising it in Phini since then.


Holy Cross

Holy Cross Church

Agioi Anargyroi

Agioi Anargyroi

The Chapel of Agia Marina

The Chapel of Agia Marina

The chapel of Agia Anna

The chapel of Agia Anna

The chapel of Agios Georgios

The chapel of Agios Georgios


Tel: 25421508

Courtesy of the CTO

Top Stories