Foklore Museum
The Folklore Museum is located west of the village and is housed in the restored Turkish-Cypriot school.

The Museum presents tools of many traditional professions such as the one of the shoe maker, the horseshoe fixer, the blacksmith, the bee keeper, the barber, the shepherd, the farmer and the weaver. Moreover, also displayed is the equipment of a traditional house which includes kitchen utensils of a traditional kitchen and the traditional metal bed of the bedroom.


Church of Zoodochos Pigi
The main church of the community is dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi. It was built towards the end of the 19th century, in between the years 1888-1890, on the foundations of an older church.

In 1953, a part of the church was destroyed by the powerful earthquake that struck Paphos. In 1956, the church was rebuilt and was lengthened about 20 feet on the west side.

The church of Zoodochos Pigi is a church painted fully in white, of Byzantine type, which forms a multi-edge arc on the outside and a semi-circular arc on the inside. In the middle of the church there is a dome. The inside of the church is adorned by a wooden-carved iconostasis created in 1908. Awe is caused by the icon of the Holy Virgin Mary.

The church celebrates the holly day of Zoodochos Pigi on the sixth day of Easter.

Chapel of Saint George
In the community there is a small chapel dedicated to Saint George. This small chapel is built east, on the road leading to Agia Marina Kelokedaron. The construction of the chapel began in 2001 and was completed in 2002.

It is noteworthy that within a distance of fifty metres, on a very steep cliff, there is a “cave” that in the past used to have frescos on its walls which depicted Saint George. This cave is accessed through a very rough pathway.

Building the chapel was the wish of the deceased Andrea Hadjievaggelous who donated the land as well as a respectable amount of money. His wish was fulfilled by the brother of the donor, Iordanis Hadjievaggelous, in cooperation with the current president of the community council, Giorgos Caizer.

Agios Agathonikos
The ruins of Agios Agathonikos are located in the area of the cemetery. The chapel of Agios Agathonikos has been declared an ancient monument by the Department of Antiquities and its restoration has already begun.

Amargeti Natural Trail

It is circular and it starts from the central square of the community. It is 5200 metres long and one needs approximately two and a half to three hours of hiking to cross it, always according to one’s pace.

The first part of the trail is 600 metres long and it crosses the village. Next, there is a 1300-metre-long section which is downhill in some parts and even in others, whereas the section of the trail which crosses the river bed is 800 metres long and relatively even. While exiting the river bed, the trail is uphill for about 1200 metres. Along this section, there are several benches for hikers to rest. The final section of the trail is 1300 metres long, slightly uphill but generally flat.

Along the route, there are wooden arrows which assist hikers to follow the right course. Moreover, there are also 56 numbered signs placed along the trail.

Points of interest

Forty signs concern plants that someone can encounter throughout the year. In particular, these refer to trees, bushes, shrubs, while less frequently they refer to perennial grasses, mosses and linchens. Included among these plants are nine endemic ones which flourish only in Cyprus and nowhere else in the world.

Moreover, there are four signs in points of geological interest and which regard a) the geological formation of Kalavasos where there is gypsum, b) the geological formation of Lefkara, c) the river strips, and d) the geological formation of Pachna. What’s more, there are four signs concerning habitats and the vegetation along the ravine, four signs referring to cultivations, three signs pointing to bird-watching and observation points and one directing to a small canyon. However, apart from birds, you will also meet other noteworthy kinds of fauna such as mammals, reptiles and butterflies.


The Canyon with the thick pine forest locatedeast of the community constitutes an enormous greenery lung for the area. The forest expands from the east of the community until the villages of Agia Marina Kelokedaron and Kelokedara. What is also noteworthy is the fact that a 5200w metre long Nature Trail is planned to be created, in cooperation with the Department of Forests, along the perimeter of the Canyon.

Observation Point

The observation point offers a northeast, east and south panoramic view of the area of the trail, including the area which spreads towards the southeast. From there one can enjoy the view of various traditional cultivations, with the dominating ones being olive and carob cultivations, whereas scattered almond trees can also be seen in the area. Moreover, the expanses of land which have been abandoned for many years are covered with natural vegetation which consists of pines, bushes, shrubs and grasses.

Located beyond the cultivations is the ravine of “Sterakotos”, the bed of which crosses part of the trail. The pine forest seen beyond the ravine (northeast and east) forms the European Habitat Type 9540 (A/A 21). Moreover, in some areas there are small olive groves, carob plantations, small vines and bushes. In the middle of the pine covered slope one can see the ruins of the chapel of Agios Georgios and further behind the peak of Agios Georgios, while the road leading to Agia Marina can been in the northeast.

In the east one can view the edges of Kelokedara and the “Paoura” peak which has an altitude of 772 metres. Seen towards the southeast and beyond the ravine of “Sterakotos” is a relatively bare slope, on the ridge of which there is extensive tree vegetation, where the Turkish-Cypriot village of Stavroconnou is also located.

Evident behind the village of Stavroconnou are the wind-turbines of the Aeolian Park which was created at the Oreites forest in order to produce electricity. Moreover, located on the ridge at the back and on the left of the wind-turbines are the villages of Archimandrita and Maronas.


Courtesy of the Community Council of Amargeti

Top Stories