UN Secretary General`s Special Envoy on Cyprus Jane Holl Lute on Wednesday will continue her consultations with all concerned parties, including the guarantor powers.
This is what the UN chief’s spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told CNA’s correspondent in New York.
“What we can state at this point is that Ms Lute has met with both Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot leaders, and is continuing her consultations with all parties, including the guarantor powers,” he also said.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37% of its territory. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results.
The latest round of negotiations, in July 2017 at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.
After talks between Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades and Lute, government spokesperson Kyriacos Koushos said the message conveyed was Nicosia’s readiness to take part in an informal five-party conference in the context of a letter the UNSG sent on October 26, 2020.
UN chief Antonio Guterres said in his report on his Good Offices Mission, an unofficial copy of which has been circulated to the Security Council, that he intends to invite all sides to a five-plus-one Conference.
This aims to explore whether common ground exists “to negotiate a sustainable, lasting solution to the Cyprus problem within a foreseeable horizon”.
He had noted however that scepticism regarding the prospects for a return to the peace talks has risen in both communities in Cyprus.