Several flights to Larnaca and Paphos Airports are being cancelled after Cyprus introduced new rules effective from 1 am March 15, in order to contain the spread of coronavirus which restrict entry to Cypriots and those who live, work or study here.
Passengers who do not belong to the permitted categories will not be allowed in. There have been no such cases so far, the Cyprus News Agency said.
Citing sources from Hermes Airports, the Cyprus News Agency said that a number of flights from Europe, the Middle East and Russia have been cancelled since the new rule came into effect.
It said that a clearer picture as regards arrivals and departures from the two airports is expected in the next few days.
Hermes Airports is urging the public to contact their airline before travelling.
The new rules are in force until 1 am on March 30.
In an announcement, the Interior Minister has clarified that in order to allow access through the legal entry points to the Republic (airports and ports) the following evidence is required, without which entry will be prohibited:
- Cypriot citizens
- Legal residents in the Republic of Cyprus.
Members of the European Union (MEU) 1,2,3 certificate (yellow slip), or utility bill in the name of the person concerned, for all nationals of European Union member states.
For third country nationals, employment permit is required.
- Nationals of European Union member states working in the Republic
MEU 1,2,3 or certificate and/or documentary evidence of the Social Security Services, or employer certificate
- Third-country nationals working in the Republic
- Nationals of countries in a designated diplomatic service or mission, pursuant to bilateral or international conventions
Diplomatic ID or for those who do not hold a diplomatic ID, a non-diplomatic card or certificate of the competent authority regarding the reasons of their presence in the Republic of Cyprus.
- Individual cases of European Union member state nationals and third country nationals for unavoidable professional obligations
Certificate from the competent Ministry of the Republic of Cyprus on the basis of the scope of the visit.
- Nationals of European Union member states or third country nationals attending educational institutions in the Republic of Cyprus
For nationals of European Union member states, presentation of student ID and for third-country nationals, presentation of student ID and student residence permit.
It should be noted that in all cases, the advice of the Ministry of Health should be followed, which includes self-isolation and self-monitor for a period of fourteen days from the arrival.