A meeting was due to be held at the Presidential Palace today as the government takes stock of how to help Cypriots stranded abroad because of health certificate requirements introduced from 6 pm on Monday night.
There has been a flood of complaints from people who cannot secure the certificate and have found themselves stuck abroad.
Transport Minister Yiannos Karousos, who yesterday intervened to allow 70 passengers from the UK to disembark and go to quarantine facilities in Platres and Troodos, said the meeting would look at how ‘special cases’ can be assisted to return. He would not elaborate.
CyBC’s correspondent also reports that another meeting is underway in Larnaca with representatives from all departments and services involved in arrivals including the airports and ports.
Under the regulations only those with a certificate can disembark and they are then taken to quarantine for 14 days.
Karousos said that airlines had been notified not to allow passengers to board and legal action was being considered against the airlines which brought passengers without the certificate.
CyBC said that a total of 25 flights were scheduled to arrive today — 17 to Larnaca Airport and eight to Paphos Airport. Some are empty and are coming to take tourists home.