Doctors will decide whether a 65 year old Briton who tested positive for coronavirus will be transferred to Famagusta General Hospital in Paralimni from the ICU unit of Paphos General Hospital, the Hospital’s director Dr Spyros Georgiou told the Cyprus News Agency on Sunday.
He had earlier said that the patient will be transferred by special ambulance today.
“The patient is being evaluated, contacts are underway with the referral hospital which is that of Famagusta and if it is deemed that he must be transferred, he will be transferred,” he said.
The patient is in stable condition, he added.
Georgiou had earlier said that the patient has been in hospital since February 3. He was moved to the intensive care unit a few days ago because of the deterioration of his health. Samples were taken and he tested positive for coronavirus, Georgiou added.
The patient had been visited by family from the UK in the past few days and efforts are underway to trace them as well as others who may have come into contact with the patient.
Paphos Hospital has closed for 48 hours so as to be disinfected.
OKIPI has asked more than 100 personnel not to come to work pending tests and they have been placed in self-isolation, he added.