Another positive Covid-19 case was announced on Monday in the Turkish-held north, bringing the total number of positive cases there to 40.
The new case is a “citizen” who had returned from the UK and had been self-isolating at home.
The announcement was made by so-called health minister Ali Pilli who said that the 40 confirmed cases in the occupied areas are 31 German tourists, 8 “citizens” and a man from Turkmenistan.
He said that so far 10 Coronavirus-positive patients are being treated in hospital; seven Turkish-Cypriots, two Germans and one Turkmen.
He added that 29 German tourists who had contracted the virus were cured and discharged and that a shipment carrying medical supplies arrived at Kyrenia harbour while more were shipped from Ankara by air.
He also asked people to stay home and local “authorities” to report suspect incidents “to put a stop to this pandemic.”
Meanwhile, a group of German tourists that were in quarantine in three hotels in the Famagusta-Trikomo area have started departing on Tuesday morning through the illegal Tymbou airport.
According to Yeni Duzen, among the departing passengers is the first confirmed case in the occupied areas, a 65 year old German woman with her husband.
The Germans are reportedly departing on a charter flight that arrived from Germany. On Monday the “transport minister” said that 5 flights would fly out of the illegal airport on Tuesday repatriating any remaining tourists in the occupied areas.