An elderly care home in Aradippou has shut down until further notice after two residents tested positive to Covid-19 on Saturday, philenews reports.
The two were among the 21 positive cases announced by the Health Ministry on Saturday evening. They have reportedly been moved so that the home can be disinfected.
According to insider information, the residents contracted the virus from visiting relatives from the UK.
The Cyprus Third Age Observatory commented on the incident calling on authorities to take action.
“Following the confirmed cases, the state needs to imminently inspect all of the country’s homes and take appropriate action to avoid very unpleasant consequences,” the Observatory said in an announcement.
“Acknowledging the fact that the state is successfully tackling an array of challenges and is fighting simultaneously on many fronts on a daily basis, the Observatory would now like to draw attention to these establishments and call on the state to help them in every way possible to weather this crisis without any more incidents,” the announcement said.
The Health Ministry had issued on Saturday elaborate instructions for Covid response at care centres for the elderly and the disabled, as they are vulnerable groups of the population and are at high risk.
According to KIOS latest data, Aradippou has 52 positive Covid-19 cases so far, the highest in Cyprus, out of 616 confirmed incidents island-wide.