An appeal is underway to find a donor match for young UK Cypriot Talia Tosun.
Talia was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia, a type of blood cancer, in May and underwent chemotherapy. At the end of August, she was informed that she needs a stem cell transplant due to the chemotherapy being ineffective.
The best possible match for Talia would be from someone of Cypriot, Turkish, Greek or Middle Eastern descent.
Could you be a match for Talia?
- Aged between 16-30
- In good health
- Turkish Cypriot, Greek Cypriot, Turkish or Middle-Eastern
- Living in the UK
Fit the criteria? What happens next…
- Sign up to the Anthony Nolan register – www.anthonynolan.org – you’ll be sent a swab pack in the post. Simply swab both inner cheeks and send back.
- If you’re a match, they’ll be in touch to verify whether you’re healthy and happy to proceed
- 90% of donors have their stem cells collected through the bloodstream in a simple process called peripheral blood stem cell (PBSC) collection.
- Only 10% of donors have their stem cells collected via the bone marrow itself. There are myths about this being a painful procedure, but it is mostly performed under general anaesthetic.
Someone out there – maybe you, maybe one of your friends or family members – could be a full match. Please consider registering with Anthony Nolan as a bone marrow donor! You could save a life.
To spread the word and find out more, please visit HERE
Talia is in urgent need of a #BoneMarrowTransplant. If you or someone you know is 16+ and Turkish Cypriot/Greek Cypriot/Middle Eastern, plz RT, read link & #SwabForTalia.https://t.co/L6t3ROmiEF#Turkish #TurkishCypriot #London #Cyprus #Leukaemia #stemcell #cypriot #blooddonor pic.twitter.com/uCyJZHg1S4
— Find Talia A Donor Match (@SwabForTalia) September 26, 2019