Approximately 4,500 Cypriots have applied for the EU Settlement Scheme in order to continue to live in the UK post-Brexit, the Cyprus News Agency reports.
They are among a total of 1.34 million EU citizens to have applied so far, according to the latest figures published by the UK Home Office.
The latest statistics show that up until August 31, more than 1.15 million applicants had been granted status under the scheme.
Furthermore, almost 300,000 people applied in the month of August and complete applications take usually one to four days to be processed.
According to the Cyprus News Agency, some 4,500 Cypriots have applied for the EU Settlement Scheme, 800 of them during the month of August.
It said that 29,900 applications were submitted by Greek nationals of which 5,500 in August.
According to statistics from www.gov.uk the highest numbers of applications came from Polish nationals, with 240,000 applications submitted to date, 60,000 of them in the month of August and double that number in the month of July.
Romanian nationals hold second place with 188,000 applications in total and in third are nationals from Italy with 151,000.
Minister of State for the Home Office Brandon Lewis said: “We’ve been crystal clear – EU citizens are our friends and neighbours, and we want them to stay in the UK. I am delighted that over 1.5 million people have already applied.
“We are looking for reasons to grant status and this week I visited our hard-working Settlement Resolution team in Liverpool to see first-hand how we are supporting EU citizens to protect their rights and get the status they need.”
The EU Settlement Scheme is designed to make it straightforward for EU citizens and their family members to stay after the UK leaves the EU. To apply they only need to complete three key steps – prove their identity, show that they live in the UK and declare any criminal convictions.