Another 21 people have tested positive for coronavirus in Cyprus out of 811 lab tests, bringing the total to 616, including 10 at the British Bases, the Health Ministry said on Saturday.
Dr Leontios Kostrikis said that today’s numbers are in line with previous days and confirm that the measures taken are the right ones, but said we have not yet reached the finish line and urged anew the public to remain on course, stay home and take self protection measures.
Dr Marios Loizou said that in some countries there are signs of stabilisation, but the WHO warned that prematurely relaxing measures could lead to the re-emergence of the pandemic with fatal consequences.
“In our country the statistics allow us the right to hope. But we should not forget that for as long as there is no cure for the virus, our primary duty is to safeguard public health and the health system.
“We need to keep adhering to the measures; we still have a long way to go,” he said, reiterating the need to keep our distance, stay home, and urged to report those in violation as “no-one has the right to place our and our children’s future at risk.”
Of the new cases announced today:
- 10 were found through tracing
- 1 had a travel history
- 10 are being investigated
14 of the cases that were being investigated from previous days were traced back to a contact and another 7 are still being investigated.
17,119 tests have been conducted so far by CING, Okypy microbiology labs and private labs.
463 of the 616 cases are from contacts, contracted in Cyprus.
61 people have been cured so far from the virus.
Until 3pm on Saturday 28 people with Covid-19 were being treated at the Famagusta referral hospital, 4 of whom in the increased care unit. Three people were discharged today.
8 patients are intubated in ICUs; two at Limassol Hospital and six at Nicosia Hospital. 4 patients are also hospitalised at the Nicosia Hospital ICU but without intubation. The clinical condition of all ICU patients is stable but critical.
Asked whether the public should wear a face mask, Dr Marios Loizou said that although there is currently no such official recommendation by the WHO for a mass use of face masks, he said that “it goes without saying that if someone wishes to use one they should do so, but they should ensure they use it properly, i.e. do not get carried away by the false sense of security it offers you and ensure you follow the rest of the rules too (maintain distances, follow hand hygiene and do not touch the mask with your hands as you run the risk of infecting the mask itself).”